Different Ways to Restoring Your Home in San Diego after Water Damage
Image found via Google
After water damage, when the flood recedes or the rains stop, restoring your home at the earliest is important. While you would want to get back to your house and start living in it, taking some time out for inspecting the property, remediating the damage completely, and disinfecting the house is vital.
When your home is affected by water damage, remember to get in touch with a restoration expert in water damage San Diego.
Water Damage in San Diego
A restoration expert is different from a general contractor. While a general contractor can remodel and reconstruct a house, a restoration company is a certified service provider that offers remediation solutions after a property is damaged due to flood, fire, or any other natural
calamity. Remodeling and reconstruction is a part of the restoration process.
You must follow a process to restore your house after water damage. Rebuilding too quickly may lead you to leave out essentials, which could cause unforeseen problems, such as penetrated moisture, mold growth, wood decay, and insects.
On the other hand, if you take the time to begin the process, it could aggravate the damage and cost you more. Therefore, you must take charge of cleaning or hire a water damage company in San Diego within 24 – 48 hours.
Since floods, hurricanes, and storms are common in San Diego, the residents must be aware of the various ways to restore homes, so that they are prepared to tackle all scenarios.
Ways to Ensure Home is Safe from Excessive Water Damage
Taking quick action is always better than waiting for help. Your house is under attack all of a sudden and you cannot turn on your heels and run. Just like how we perform CPR to restore blood circulation on individuals who are in cardiac arrest, you must use your own ‘CPR’ to keep
your home alive.
Here’s what you can do straight away:
– Close down all electrical connections and lines. To be on the safer side, switch off the main power. If you notice electrical appliances or wires submerged in the floodwater, do not enter the house with the current running.
– Turn off the gas connection as well.
– Try to remove all electrical appliances and gadgets from the flood area.
– Notify the water damage restoration company immediately. Also, inform the police and insurance provider.
– Identify the source of the water and try to stop it, even if it reduces the force of water.
– Inspect the house from the outside so that you know where to lead the technicians when they arrive.
– Be careful while entering in a house after a heavy downpour. The roof might be vulnerable and may cause accidents.
How Do You Know the Company You Have Hired is Right?
Many general contractors offer remodeling in the name of remediation and restoration. While they may be skilled to handle new construction, interior decoration, and remodeling, a restoration requires a completely different set of skills and tools. For instance, let’s take moisture meter for example.
Moisture has a way to get to the insides of the wall and damage the drywall, insulation, and wooden sheathing. You cannot detect moisture with naked eyes. You need special tools, such as moisture meters to detect a high amount of moisture penetrated inside the walls. And you need dehumidifiers to get rid of the excess moisture.
Only a licensed restoration company will be equipped with special such tools to cater to unforeseen water damage, including moisture and mold. Besides this, the professional company must have the capability to restore the external and internal property, he must be qualified to do the cleanup and disinfection, and must offer additional services, such as mold and asbestos removal.